Saturday, June 19, 2010

Hey! Remember the 80s?

I get it now! It's not that the 70s will live forever, but they still will, no question about it. No, the hot nostalgia lags exactly, EXACTLY one generation behind. And I still figure a generation at about 30 years, give or take 5 to 10 years. And so, #1 and #2 at the box office this week fall handily into that time horizon. Stand By Me from 1986 romanticized the 50s. Summer of 42 was about 30 years after. And round and round we could go... if I had more examples. Why, even The Godfather probably falls close to that! At least, the Al Pacino part of the story... maybe not. Never mind. GoodFellas as well.
For me, though, this box office is clearly a lesser class of nostalgia. I mean, I like the original Karate Kid, or maybe I'm just prejudiced. Or maybe the new Karate Kid is too young. When was the last time you heard of a 13 year old black belt? Let alone one that could take any adult in a fight? See what I'm saying? All due respect to Will Smith's kid and everything. But I included the pic of the A-Team for one reason: whose body was Liam Neeson's head cut-and-pasted onto? Surely, not Liam's! Why, he looks like he still has his Suspect or Next of Kin physique! No Hollywood black magic in the world could pull THAT off, I'm afraid! As for the rest of the box office... LOSERS! They're all losers. Yes, even Shrek. I dealt with all those already. I gotta move on.

No comments: