Sunday, May 29, 2022

Auteur Watch - Todd St. John

Oh good!  Another short one.  Well, I was hoping to enjoy my long weekend at some point.  Our next but not least auteur is named Todd St. John.  He hasn't worked since 2008, but maybe he's just a Terrence Malick in waiting.  His last gig revolved around a new feature of "The New York Times," and it was called "T: The New York Times Style Magazine."  Anybody know how that worked out?  These days, now that no one's reading newspapers anymore, The New York Times has once again tried their hand at television, or at the very least, a higher online profile.  I of course refer to their big exposé of the conservatorship of Britney Spears.  They're working on the other big issues too: Drumpf's taxes, America's crumbling infrastructure... the next big election hack, what have you.  Can you give a brother a second chance, guys?  No?  I thought so, but I just had to ask the question anyway. 

Before Todd became a famous director, he had an interesting first job: title designer on a little movie called Manic.  And I tell you what!  It's now at the top of my Netflix (TM)(R)(C) queue, and I'm going to check this out for myself... I wonder if I've said too much.  I haven't read my Netflix (C)(TM)(R) EULA lately.  I may have said too much.  Anyway, holy Nepotism, Batman!  MelamedBacallDeschanel?  At least Don Cheadle had to work his way up... whew!  One out of four ain't bad.  But I've said it before and I'll say it again: no shame in having that first job before graduating to the bad director's chair.  Take for example, Lawrence Kasdan, who started out as a screenwriter.  Or Barry Sonnenfeld who started out as a cinematographer.  Or Fred Durst who started out as an almost total douchebag.  You can almost smell the whiff of douchiness in classics like The Education of Charlie Banks, or a PG-rated feel-good sports movie like 2008's The Longshots.  See that, haters?  He didn't do it all for the nookie!  Well, most of it.  I wonder what Putin's got on him!  Hmm... where was I?  Oh, right.  One hopefully not last toast to our current auteur, Todd St. John.  May you get everything you want out of life, plus a little bit more.

No comments: