Monday, December 09, 2019

The Folded Arms of Disappointment

Brought to you by Calling in an Expert.  Calling in an Expert!  (Car-Rebuilding Reality Shows only... and to a limited extent, on "Antiques Roadshow" when someone brings in something that even the regular experts don't know what the f... what it is)  And brought to you by Car Fence.  Car Fence!  Missing a section of fence?  Park your car there!  It worked in The Road Warrior, and it could work for you!  Whelp, there are NO debuts this week in my beloved American Box Office Top 10, so I'll take a little short break from my usual shtick.  HOWEVER... and this is a big however, which is why it's in All-Caps, every once in a great while a new movie comes along that... well, the phrase "Voice of a Generation" is overused these days, but perhaps it is apt after all for this situation.  My source over at Variety informed me of something called Playmobil: The Motion Picture.  Sigh; this is going to force me over to Wikipedia, of course.  Hey!  Maybe I should get one of those buttons!  I'll take $2.75 as well!  Alas, a lot of these web cam girl referral services are a bunch of cheapskates as it is.  Whelp, even though the Playmobil movie was a huge frickin' bomb, I say don't lose hope.  'Tis a rare act of corporate humility.  I mean, take Lego and Hasbro, for example.  That's part of the problem right there!  People already are, in droves!  Way WAY more than Playmobil.  But maybe it's doing well across the pond!  Who knows?  Also, if this film was indeed for the 45th anniversary of Playmobil... well, there's another problem right there.  Probably should've waited for 50, but whatever.  Maybe you could do a reboot in five years!  I mean, a 45th anniversary is fine, if you're a married couple about to cast off forever into the retirement community, but not so much for a line of toys, know whut I mean Vern?  Oops, sorry about shouting... I better go.
(Tuesday) This just in: my paying workplace needs me!  It does feel nice to be wanted, I must say.  Anyway, I did a little research at Wal-Mart today and... yup!  Sure enough, there was one little tiny section in the toy department devoted to Playmobil... meanwhile, they got the regular Lego section, a section for Lego Star Wars, Lego Friends, Lego Ninjago... I still don't understand Ninjago.  I mean, sure, if I had some extra spending money, I'd try to collect all the sets, and turn my home into a living Lego museum and all that... where was I?  Oh right.  So, the Eyestrain collection... I mean, Playmobil collection, maybe I need to take a second / better look at it, because they might have to do a little co-branding to stay afloat.  You know, like the ones I mentioned earlier!  That is, if you want a movie based on your company's product to do better in the marketplace.  Reminds me: I should've bought this belt-looking coiled-up thing with Lego (TM) pegs on it for using as a baseplate.  It helpfully says on the packaging "Fits most compatible toys"... something like that, but really, they mean Lego.  I guess Lock-Blocks are also the same size.  Assimilate or die if you're a cheap Lego clone!

No comments: