Sunday, April 04, 2021

Auteur Watch - James Betteridge

 Awright!  Back to work.  Our next auteur is named James Betteridge, and... oh, sorry.  He just works for the Marvel (TM) (R) (C) Transportation Department... don't they have directors too?  Yes, Director of Traffic.  Hey, let's all just throw up our hands and call everything and everyone a director.  Why not?  Caterer?  Director of Catering!  Casting?  Director of Casting!  Direct-to-Video Release?  Hey, why not?  Director of Direct-To-Video!  The guy who uses the leaf blower at 8 O'Clock in the morning?  Director of Noise Pollution!  Why not...

...I apologize.  I forgot to take my anti-histrionics again.  And I'm a little teentsy weentsy bit behind schedule, if memory serves.  Okay, back to work; how about this James Betteridge?  No, but... like directors, animators are in their own little fiefdom.  But we'll save that for later... man!  What's happening to me?  I'm getting far too critical now that I'm more and more becoming a text-only human being.  See, here's what happened: I was just about ready to extol the virtues of Betteridge's "What If" series, because the title "What If... the iPhone Were President?"  But then I realized that we just went through four years of Twitter (TM) (R) (C) being President, so the whimsy quickly drained out of that proverbial kitchen sink.  Also, there's some question as to whether or not this actually was shown on TV or just a direct-to-YouTube release.  Probably direct to YouTube.  Now you're probably asking yourself, but Movie Hooligan!  On the IMDb, it's called "... WAS President?".  Aren't you going to correct your mistake?  I will correct my mistake as soon as the "thiswhatifseries" on YouTube corrects their mistake: in the video, they use the word "was," but the text of the title under the video uses "were."  Ball's in your court.

Oh, and from now on I'm going to try and remember to have my links open a new window.  That's the new normal, right?  I don't know what it is, but I prefer that a new tab open... damn.  Gotta do some more programming again.  But it might just be one line of code or so.  As for this whole "rel = nofollow" business, well... I usually just have links to the IMDb (R) (C) (TM) or YouTube (TM) (C) (R).  Perfectly normal, reputable sites; no formality needed.

Okay, back to work.  How about this James Betteridge?  Nope, just an actor.  He plays "The Crowd" in a music video from 2017 called "The Paul Mirfin Band: The Fighter."  Amazing what you can do with an iBook these days.  Whelp, I don't think I'm getting totally frustrated yet, but we better find an auteur here soon!  #Justsayin.  And... oh, thank God!  And finally, I get to play my little game again.  You know... and stop me if you've heard it already, but what do this guy and this guy have in common?   That's right!  They both point to the same James Betteridge!  And his is a story like a handful of others.  Just off the top of my head, there's a few prominent people who've managed to leave one Hollywood profession and become a master of directing.  Ida Lupino is one, and Barry Sonnenfeld and Jan de Bont are famous former cinematographers turned directors.  James B. Harris and Irwin Winkler are famous producers-turned-directors.  Stuart Baird and Raja Gosnell are famous editors-turned-directors... Baird went back to editing, alas.  What's Gosnell doing right?  David Fincher famously worked on the forest sequences of Return of the Jedi.  And then there's Eric Brevig, Oscar (TM) (R) (C) nominated special-effects maven turned director... I think he worked on the three-boobed lady in Total Recall or something.  Well, this James Betteridge finds himself in the same boat with Brevig.  He's only got one directorial credit under his belt so far: a 2018 version of the Dickens classic "A Christmas Carol."  On the one hand, it's refreshing to see that he didn't go with a sci-fi or superhero movie as his first outing.  On the other... well, put it this way.  If you go to Charles Dickens' IMDb page and search for "A Christmas Carol," as of this writing the phrase comes up 151 times.  #Justsayin

No comments: