Sunday, January 27, 2019

Auteur Watch - Gregory Hines

One of ... I wouldn't say childhood heroes, but he was in there, definitely.  He was just a luminous star, trying to do his thing.  Tried out directing a bit, but I guess it didn't take.  Seems like he could've directed Tap, a movie about ... oh.  Just read the plot description.  Yeesh.  It says "Just released from prison, Max Bialystock... I mean, Denzel Washington... I mean, Max Worthington must decide which of his previous professions to return to: burglar, or tap dancer."  Lemme guess... burglar for a while first, til all his friends get caught after the big, one last job, then back to tap dancer.  Right?  I should probably add that his episode of "Amazing Stories" called "The Amazing Falsworth" is a fond childhood memory, if only because I was probably too young to watch it, and because it took that very violent turn late in the Third Act.  Then, Hyams and Hines did Running Scared (1986) together.  I guess one only wants to work with Hyams twice, and that's it... but as of 2013, Jean-Claude Van Damme seems to be the lone exception!!

No comments: