Sunday, November 17, 2019

Auteur Watch - Melvin James

You know... I've got this other blog that... ah, skip it.  It's for typo's... typoes?  Let's just say missspellinsg... somethign like that.  And it doesn't take long, perusing through Melvin James' IMDb online résumé, to find mistakes.  Take, for instance, his 2014 title called Pause.  I mean, look at its plot description!  I SAID LOOK UPON IT.... what does it say?  It says "Love is tough no matter whose looking."  WHO'S!  WHO'S looking.  You know "who's"?  A contraction of "who" and "is"?
But I will give him credit for one thing.  Spike Lee's classic Chi-Raq came out in 2015.  As we all now know, it's based on the ancient Greek play called "Lysistrata" by Aristophanes... I'll let you in on a big secret: I actually didn't know that.  I always confuse it with that Sophocles play... Oedipus Rex.  Took me a while to remember the title!  Well, it's like doing a radio show sometimes, all this blogging. 
Oh right... but the point I was going to make was that Melvin James did A Miami Tail in 2003, which is like 12 years BEFORE 2015!  On the other hand... if a movie falls in the forest, does it get reviewed?  Well, apparently A Miami Tail didn't.  And Frank Lee, I don't think the #MeToo / TimesUp movements would particularly care for it being spelled "tail" unless it's about Fievel, know what I mean?  He did get some reviews for 2000's Girlfight... I mean, 2001's Honeybee.  But Melvin James' contradictions don't stop there.  The enduring mystery continues.  I mean, take his IMDb Bio page, for example.  One of his quotes includes, but is not limited to, "Talent is God-given.  Be humble."  But then he's got this other quote: "Never long for anyone from your past. There's a reason why they never made it to your future."  Ummm... I don't know what emotion to file that one under, just probably not under "Humility."

No comments: