Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Auteur Watch - Isaach De Bankolé

Yes, you're right: I only know him because of Jim Jarmusch.  But not much about him!  According to his IMDb bio, he was discovered while studying to be an airline pilot, and he's got a Masters Degree in Mathematics... AND an acting degree on top!  And yet, international stardom is his choice of career now.  No need for a fallback for some.  Actually, I was discovered on the street too.  Well, I was with two friends of mine, and an agent said to my first friend "Hey!  You should become an actor!"  And he did!  I won't embarrass him by dropping his name, but he knows who he is.  Then the agent looked at my friend's girlfriend and said "Hey!  You should become an actress!"  And she did!  I won't embarrass her by dropping her name, but she knows who she is.  Then the agent looked at me and said "Hey!  You should... keep doing what you're currently doing!  Good for you."  This was in the days before "Don't give up your day job" was thought up, mind you.  I know, tres tres, millieux verbose, n'est ce pas?  Anything over three words these days, and man, do I get exhausted!
...anyway, I'm having a little trouble locating his solo directorial effort called Traveling Miles: Cassandra Wilson.  Netflix doesn't seem to have it, nor does my big-city video store.  Guess this YouTube (TM) (R) (C) video will just have to do in the meantime.

No comments: