Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Auteur Watch - Thomas Allen Harris

When I look at photos of this guy, this directer fella here on IMDb, I can't help but recall... I am getting on in years, after all... I recall semi-fondly my first year of college, and a bunch of us freshmen were standing around, shooting the sh... breeze, and this one ambitious nerd type had a photo of himself, either from his yearbook, or just one that he carries around.  He did help me land my first paying gig, reading books onto an audio tape-type substance for the disabled, so I should be more grateful to him for that, probably.  He was okay, maybe a little too over-eager.  But he was talking about his smile in the picture he was showing, and he asked the group "Now, doesn't that smile say to you 'I'm going to be in charge of the world someday'?"  I made the mistake of voicing my opinion and said that it looked a little more like a "Hey, baby..." kind of thing.  He vehemently disagreed.  It's what I thought, what can I tell you?  Well, the same goes for this Ken Burns wannabe I'm profiling this week.  I'm just saying that Ken Burns' priority seems to be more towards the work, and less towards taking a good photograph of himself.  But hey, what do I know?  Everybody's a critic.
Mr. Harris' work skews toward the documentary type, and he seems to have done pretty well for himself!  But he was still finding his voice in the early '90s when he was just starting out.  Here's something on the ol' résumé called Black Body.  As you can read from the IMDb plot description of it, it's an emotionally powerful reflection on racism, using a series of moving pictures of a black torso with barbed wire around it.  For the audiophile in all of us, "emotionally loaded voice-overs."  I guess I'll just have to imagine it.  I mean, from the plot description, this sounds like something that wouldn't, and frankly shouldn't be merely available on the YouTubes for free.  Am I right?  (checking the Tubes that are of You...) RIGHT!  Oh well.  But like any director worth his or her weight in salt, they should always have several interviews on said YouTubes discussing the art of the film director and otherwise.

No comments: