Monday, March 16, 2020

Auteur Watch - Jerry Davis

Okay, so how about Jerry Davis-Cuda?  Does he or she count?  Nah, not a director.  But they are "Known For" something, which is more than I can say about myself, that is for sure!  Well, how about Jerry Davis Jr.?  Nope, everything but directing... oh, crap!  I did this one already!  But I've got one last one up my sleeve that I know for sure I haven't done yet: THIS Jerry Davis!  That's right, I saved the best for last.  Boy, I bet he could tell some stories about television in the '70s.  I think either the '50s or the '60s was the Golden Age for most folks... wow!  Wikipedia will do the thinking for me from now on forever!  I actually donated to them for a change; wonder how long before the notices come back.  That server farm ain't free, you know!  Not to mention the waste heat.  Have you thought about the waste heat, Bart?
Anyway, directing was more of a side gig for ol' Jerry Davis.  Boy, I bet he could tell some stories about that time, but he can't anymore because he died in 1991.  Plus, he was probably bound by more than a couple NDAs, as we call them today.  I forget, did "Ray Donovan" cover that at all?  It was sort of implied, I suppose.  See, there's your top-tier celebrities who get to give the Little... the Common People the approved secrets of what goes on behind the showbiz curtain, so to speak.  Then there's the next level.  I guess Joe Dante's not an A-Lister anymore, but apparently he never felt totally welcome in the biz; not like Spielberg, anyway.  And every once in a while, he'll give us a gem like how a Teamster once told him outside one of the studios "Yeah, Errol Flynn once took a leak right there!"  As for Jerry, well, producing was the main gig, but directors can be a tricky bunch, and maybe one or two of them walk out in the middle of principal photography... do they have that in TV?  And so, Jerry will have to step in and take over, and what the hell.  Since he did more than 50% of the work, why not take credit entire for the episode?  Am I right?  I guess his time spent with Barbara Eden was good enough that he was in charge of directing something called "The Barbara Eden Show."  Sounds like it might have made a nice series in the hands of someone else... then again, isn't it basically "The Dick Van Dyke Show," but on the set of a soap opera instead of a comedy show?

No comments: