Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A Brief Shout-out to Genesis


Well, maybe I can take a couple moments in-between apartments to post of a fresh charging of Nostalgia Neurons, synapses, muons, axons, what have you. Is there any greater feeling in the world, when you get right down to it? I think not. For a single guy, anyway. Anyway, I've not kept up on the latest in pop music too well, but there was a time in the past when Genesis ruled MTV in the 80s. And I know Phil Collins has taken a beating in the public eye if only by falling out of it, but once upon a time he was surely one of the top 10 masters or so of pop music. The occasional straying from the formula is like nails on a blackboard, like "I wish it would rain down". Same thing with Harrison Ford. The way I see it, it's a unique musicological application of Newton's Third Law: for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction, as in, you might end up like Paul McCartney too if you had to go on the road and play "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" hundreds of times. Anyway, to keep it brief, I happened upon a DVD compilation of Genesis videos, and my favourites would have to be "Land of Confusion" (fig. 1), "I Can't Dance"... guess that's it. Oh yeah, "Invisible Touch" brought back some memories. Oh, I just hate having to see Mike Rutherford work so hard!
Also, check out "No Reply At All" and see Phil mess up the lip-synching, heh heh... :)

p.s. Dang! I completely forgot! Since politics in pop music is typically few and far in between, I must single out "Land of Confusion" (I heard a vocal from "Land of Confusion" on Air America Radio incorporated into a contemporary song [3/28/07 - and that song was Sly and the Family Stone's "War". Some people have way too much time on their hands... not just me for a change! :) ] ) and especially "Jesus He Knows Me", which is unfortunately even more timely than ever. Pat Robertson's diversified his portfolio so he apparently doesn't have to ask his viewing public directly for cash infusions. Boo beer, Hooray Slave Labor! (African diamond mines or otherwise)

No comments: