Sunday, July 22, 2018

A Strong and Powerful Denial

...how about Matt Emeott?  Anyway... gotta come back later, we gotta sit round the HDTV and watch something on CNN about sketch comedy.  I think it's called "Crossfire."  Didn't they re-cancel that already?  Better run.
...okay, I'm back.  Think I've already run out of ellipsis for one lifetime.  Anyway, the box office this week.  Denzel doesn't have that third Oscar (TM) (R) (C), but he's got a #1 movie this week!  Some consolation, right?  It's called The Equalizer 2, and I think he uses the same gesture that Charles Bronson does at the end of Death Wish 1, if only in the trailer.  But there's probably a compilation on YouTube of all that.  Do I gotta go and do everything around here?
Meanwhile, for the opposite demographic, there's the sequel to the highly successful Mamma Mia! and it's called Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.  Well, this is a class-act sequel, so no mere Roman numeral to identify this one... which reminds me!  I was just reminiscing about the difference between cardinal and ordinal numbers.  See, when you have a Master's degree like I do, you kinda have to act like it.  Fur instance, you have to know the definition of "energy," which is simply the ability to perform work.  And the definition of "work" is a series of actions to perform a task.  And "TASK" is... oy, on and on it goes.  But simply put, ordinal is the one that identifies something in terms of a list.  So, in movie sequel terms, The Equalizer 2 is cardinal, whereas Shrek the Third is the other one... I mean, ordinal.
...where was I?  Oh, right.  Speaking of thirds, the third and final debut this week is the latest horror movie, and I believe this one is a sequel as well.  I mean, dayamn!  There's eight sequels this week!  As David Letterman would say, probably on CBS, you got your Equalizer (ding), you got your Mamma Mia! (ding), you got your Hotel Transylvania (ding), you got your Maze Runner (loud, annoying buzz), you got your Ant-Man (ding), you got your Incredibles (ding), you got your, um... Cabin Boy 2: Plimsoll Line Boogaloo (LOUD, ANNOYING, TREMOLO BUZZ), you got to Heidi high (EVEN LOUDER ANNOYING BUZZ)... sorry, they played that on La Radio aujourd'hui... you got the Jurassic Park, you got the Purge movie, and the latest in the Unfriended franchise, which they do admit is related.  I went to the extra bother to make the hyperlinks, because I know I would possibly thank myself later for it.  Do the hard work up front, kids.  I peruse some of my old brain farts about the box office, and I usually hate myself for not doing all the links and what not.  Go figure!  These things don't stay relevant forever, and they might be hard to look up as well.
I mean, sure, technically, the Purge movie is a prequel or something, and this Skyscraper movie isn't a sequel to anything... unless you count Die Hard, of course.  Plus, this is just the latest Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson movie... to me, they all kinda blend together as one long wasted outing at the cineplex.  He's like Jason Statham that way.  I get amnesia from Statham movies, usually.  Why, I oughta write about that or something!  No, the only movie that doesn't seem to be a sequel to anything is Sorry to Bother You... unless you count "Dear White People."  Oh, s'z'nap!
Yeah, there was hell raised in Helsinki last week, no doubt about it.  And on that bad pun, I should end.  Hate the game, not the Mexican word for beach (playa)

No comments: