Monday, December 03, 2018

Possession Obsession

Drat.  I thought I had The Exorcist on DVD.  But, I did happen to happen upon Peter Hyams' 1999 classic, End of Days, and because I'm in a lazy pinch, it will just have to suffice.  I just wish his films weren't so ambiguous... I mean, is that a good guy or a bad guy in the enclosed pic?  That's Leon Vitali, right?  Anyway, all these deliberations are in honor of the solo debut this week, something called The Possession of Hannah Montana Hannah GraceIt's a make-or-break moment for its star, Shay Mitchell.  She was one of the "Pretty Little Liars," but now she's on her own... I guess.  Is the show still on?  What channel?  Oh well.  It's at the library, so that's some legitimacy, about all some shows can ask for these days.  Kinda hard to be in a position of power for the next round of contract renegotiations, however, when your big film debuts at #7, unfortunately.  I mean, if it was an indie pic in 300 theaters, and getting early Oscar (TM) (R) (C) buzz, that's a different story.
But I did want to mention some depressing news I heard this weekend... I'm sorry, I'm so depressed about it that I'm not even going to post a hyperlink to the story.  Not that I didn't anticipate it happening, mind you; that's how cynical I am, but the headline had to do with some accusers against noted astrophysicist and heir to Carl Sagan's throne, Neil deGrasse Tyson.  And I couldn't help but read that and think, c'mon.  Well, the various movements involved, I guess they have to keep trying, but really.  Isn't Bill Cosby and one of the Weinsteins good enough?  Now we have to go after the scientists, too?  How about when the Oscars (TM) (C) (R) get a hot young starlet to hand out the yearly technical awards?  Can we shut that down too?  It's sexist, and body shames the rest of us non-celebrity losers, for two. 
But the testing of these things must go on.  Louis C.K. might come back, Kevin Spacey never ever will, Geoffrey Rush might come back, and Morgan Freeman... again, c'mon.  But I think the official charges against Morgan Freeman were that some women were made "uncomfortable" by him.  I don't know what the punishment is for that, exactly, but let's see if it's affecting anything yet... nope, The Shawshank Redemption is still the #1 movie on the IMDb, as of this writing, and always will be, forever and ever amen.  Stephen King's short stories seem to translate better into movies somehow, go figure.

No comments: