Sunday, September 01, 2019

The Picture of Hurricane Dorian

Brought to you by Poor Taste.  Poor Taste!  Why... why, God, why?  Also brought to you by Hot Steering Wheel.  Hot Steering Wheel!  Don't have an underground parking spot?  Or some nice shade from a tree?  Then you've got Hot Steering Wheel!  Warning: may be hot.  Whelp, 'twas a very conservative Box Office this weekend.  No debuts!  Personally, I'm going to be very, very happy when IMDb is no longer inundated for ads for Overcomer, not that I don't just love Christian Seth MacFarlane and Seventh-Day Adventist Jada Pinkett Smith and all that.  I just think there's some mission creep there.  Remember!  It's all for the glory of Jesus, not for you.  But $17 million in the bank in the second week of release is very good for a Christian Hollywood film, I'll give you that.  Probably a new record!
Anyway, since there are no debuts to talk about, I might as well give you a status report.  Well, I started to watch the new "The Dark Crystal" on Netflix and all that... but I dunno.  I mean, God bless 'em, the special FX look state of the art, and the Skeksis have new ... metal beak cozies, whatever.  But they do seem to be turning the world of The Dark Crystal into Lord of the Rings... or was it just me?  I mean, hey, maybe it's great, just not ten episodes great.  They're diluting the original.  In binge-watching news, we're almost done with Season 7 of "Homeland."  I'll admit it!  Not bad!  Can't go wrong with Russians, but Season 5 will be hard to top.  Saw a little bit of something called House of Strangers.  I didn't realize Chico Marx did any dramatic work apart from... oh, that was Edward G. Robinson?  Huh!  Coulda fooled me.  Remember, folks: no expense was spared, no detail too small for an army of artists, technicians and engineers to bring this lurid, completely true tale to your local Silver Screen!  More effective than any number of local police departments or national G-Men, it's the awesome power of film.  Yes, Hollywood is on the march, giving you the power of information, everything you need to defeat the Red Menace... or any other color of menace we may face.  However, it's not all good news.  I guess my viewing companion's new found love of Denzel Washington doesn't yet extend to a second viewing of Devil in a Blue Dress just yet.  Everyone still loves L. A. Confidential more, but it's kinda just as good!  And beat it by two years, no less.  Guess that's all I got.  Sorry, it's a down week for me, I guess.  Oh, but I can still do one of these: BACK TO THE WOODS THEN!!!!  I mean, back to the old drawing board.  Sorry about shouting.

No comments: