Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Joel Coen in Fight Club?


About 1:12:45 into the DVD, or is it just me? I'm a little goofed up, I think.
Anyway, there was a nice article on Yahoo! about the new trend in horror movies, or of horror movies, rather. A spate of movies like Saw II, Wolf Creek, Hostel, and of course, zombie movies like Big Momma's House 2. Sequels rising from the grave! Long thought dead and unsequelable, and if this one makes any money we'll all be surprised. From the TV trailer it looks like some advances in "Fat Body Suit" technology have been made, some serious upper-body advances, if you know what I mean! I didn't tape the trailer so I can't provide a frame of it, but it's probably all over the world by now. If that doesn't bring in big Box Office crowds, nothing will. For my money, how good could it be if Paul Giamatti didn't return? And are they planning a sequel to Black Knight? Or Blue Streak?
What else? Last Holiday. Just saw the TV trailer for that. Of course, I didn't see Under the Tuscan Sun either. It's like Taxi but with laughs. Badabing!
But I don't mean to pick on black stars exclusively. We've also got on the horizon a little turkey called Grandma's Boy. Seriously, this may put Allen Covert on the A-List of stars, saying goodbye to Adam Sandler forever, but the real star is the production company, Happy Madison, with its hot new Caddyshack-style vanity logo. This may be an apocryphal story, but I think this is how the film came about: the Happy Madison happy family went to see The 40 Year Old Virgin. Halfway into the screening the script was finished. The next day principal photography began and wrapped in two months. The next three months were spent in intense editing to get it out just in time for... well, it was originally planned as a Christmas release, if I can still use that word without getting wire-tapped, but it ended up as a January 6 release instead. They're motivated over there at Happy Madison Productions, you gotta give them that! :)

No comments: