Saturday, November 03, 2012

Auteur Watch - Bouli Lanners

This is what I get for not having a long-term Auteurs plan.  Jumping from film to film like some ADD-afflicted mosquito.  This is no way to live.  But I did watch his Eldorado tonight and, while I don't feel like I made it to quite that level of promised land, I'm slightly the richer for it ne'theless.  I guess.  I'm just trying to place this guy.  The Village Voice called him a French Kevin Smith because of his warddrobe, which I think is selling him very, very short.  No, to me he's more of a cross between Julian Schnabel and Billy Bob Thornton, maybe because I read that painting is in his background.  Apparently he and Julian were self-taught, God bless 'em.  With maybe just a dash of Rade Serbedzija, the second most interesting man in the world.

No comments: