Friday, November 23, 2012

Auteur Watch - Kasi Lemmons

If you're like me, you know Kasi Lemmons from The Silence of the Lambs, and you know her hubbie Vondie Curtis-Hall from Falling Down as the ... the "outsourced" guy?  In other words, I'm white.  But I think I once burned The Caveman's Valentine onto a DVD when I went through my notorious DVD-burning phase... from CABLE!  Off of cable, I mean.  Now it's all computer files!  Apparently, even Blu-Rays are already going to be phased out.  Lord help us all when gigabytes fly through the phone lines in mere seconds.  But Ebert took a shine to her 1997 film Eve's Bayou.  But Vondie's the main bread-winner in that household, and as long as he's directing, she'll get roles in his films.  After all, she's sleeping with the director!!  Oh, that's not a nice thing to say, even if it's true.  So Kasi does more of the art-house stuff, and Vondie does the fluff, like 2001's Glitter.  Well, we never expected much from Mariah Carey in terms of the acting.  Whitney Houston was still moderately better at that.  Anyway, Kasi's got two big films on her plate: Agaat and Black NativityAgaat sounds pretty epic, as it covers the entirety of Apartheid.  As for Black Nativity, well, it sounds like it'll do for the Bible what The Wiz did for The Wizard of Oz.  I wonder which church is going to protest Black Nativity, and will it mean the kiss of death at the box office as it did for The Last Temptation of Christ.  After all, even with the Bible, once you go black....

No comments: