Sunday, September 04, 2016

The Deal with Labor Day

In Trump news, all of Trump's surrogates have a new plan: whenever they go on TV and talk about Hillary Clinton, all they will say from now until November is "She's CHICKEN!  Bawk, bawk, bawk..."  Catchy idea, actually!
As for this Labor Day's box office, well... it's down, man.  Way, way down.  Kinda pathetic, franquelly... frankly.  The top movie is Don't Breathe again, with a haul of only 15 million.  I mean, with those kind of numbers, just about anything could be #1.  I mean, a Blair Witch reboot could do well this week!... oh, right.  There actually is one.  I mean, more conventional fare like The Light Between Oceans debuts at #6?  Don't people want to believe anymore?  Don't people want to see their high school prom king and queen that everyone hated on the big screen anymore?  Doesn't anyone want to marry a lighthouse keeper and keep them company?  The only film I can recall centered on a lighthouse is Paperhouse... man, but I don't remember that movie.  I guess no one touches the subject of lighthouses out of deference and or respect to Rob Reiner's vanity logo.  Either that, or that one episode of "The Simpsons" where Homer eats the Guatemalan insanity peppers... man, but that should probably be my favourite episode ever.  I guess there's just something about a young boy taking the ferry to his worst adolescence ever that's box office poison.
Meanwhile, in No Country for Old Men news, the latest from the writer of Sicario and the director of... Young Adam... is called Hell or High Water.  I thought Tom Hooper directed this one; go figure.  Well, it's a trade off, I suppose.  Woody Allen tells Britain's stories, and British directors tell our neo-Wild West ones... or was it Scott Cooper?  Anyway, it's bound to recoup cost at some point, right?

No comments: