Sunday, November 05, 2017

Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

So behind on the times.  Well, I don't have a Blu-Ray player on my desktop computer so I'm unable to take a screencap from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, so 2008's Iron Man 1 will just have to suffice in this pinch.  Because once again, the latest Marvel(TM) movie is a massive #1 hit.  Not bad for a superhero movie in November!  Used to be that superheroes were for summertime.  Not anymore!  Not for a while now, if I really wanted to look into it.  But DC Comics hasn't been idle exactly either.  They of course have the big Justice League movie coming out.  Then of course there's the fourth season of "Gotham."  We have it on DVD... which is part of the problem.  These days, it's Blu-Ray or nothing.  My constant viewing companion has been complaining about Professor Pyg, because he's having trouble keeping track of all these plot threads.  I on the other hand realize the necessity of new characters.  Which is why there are over 600 characters in the Simpsons universe... Simpson-iverse?  Simpsiverse?  Unisimps?
Guess I just can't get excited this week.  I'm still sulking over Suburbicon.  America... you make me sad.  Films tend not to come back when they debut in ninth place.  But in three months' time I'll get to get it on Blu-Ray and download my digital copy of the damn thing.  Of course, I've been using 123Copy these days.  Pic quality's a little splotchy, but hey!  Can't argue with results in general, right?
Before I forget, I do want to give a shout out to musical group Imagine Dragons.  They scored a big coup by getting a bastardized version of their hit song "Believer" into a theatrical trailer for the new Murder on the Orient Express.  A toast to their current and future successes, of which there will surely be many.  The only other debut this week is A Bad Moms Christmas, which I think doesn't speak well of male-dominated Hollywood.  So, moms only get to celebrate Christmas on November 5th?  Is that the deal now, guys?  (#77CentsOnTheDollar)  Stay strong, girls and grrls.
While technically the film at #10 this week, Let There Be Light, isn't a debut, this is the first I've seen of it.  You know, because I don't religiously read Variety, and look at their Top 1000 list of all theaters all over the world.  But Let There Be Light is the latest in a string of movies that seems to be made very specifically for The Onion's A.V. Club to trash.  But they don't do it online anymore!  It clearly is up to me now.  LTBL stars Kevin Sorbo, and apparently in this, the 2nd Act of his career, he's finally found Jesus, and is trying to repent for all his Atheist-ish work in the 1st Act of his career, playing... Hercules, mostly.  And to a lesser extent, Kull the Conqueror.  But that's the world we live in, where Kevin Sorbo was once a household name, yet Peter Strauss all but languishes in obscurity.

No comments: