Sunday, November 19, 2017

Owning the Weekend

And I don't use that phrase lightly, because I heard it on the radio.  We only listen to one radio station where I work, but that's okay.  We only spend about an hour and a half in the office before hitting the streets, and it's a nice audio diversion, at least until the boss has us all gather around.  But the local radio guy is this old school broadcaster, being forced to keep an even keel when reading news about our current president.  But he did say something about the new film Justice League and that it was poised to "own the weekend."  I know, right?  Game-changing!  Epic!  Iconic!  ...yes, I changed the order of those to, you know, kinda freshen it up.  Keep it from getting too stale.  Sick, man!  It's a sick lineup.  And it's epic!  Iconic!  Chame-ganging!  Death to the Demoness Allegra Michelle Geller!  Death to Tyrants in General!  Long live the New Flesh LOOK UPON ME!!!!!  ... I think there was a phrase that was screamed over and over in something that took me much longer to find than I thought it would called The Last Big Thing.  Spoiler alert: there is no last big thing, but I tell you what.  You know what owned the weekend?  Jurassic Park 2 when it came out.  How about 2008's The Dark Knight?  That owned about five or six weekends pretty hard!  Guardians of the Galaxy 1 owned its first weekend pretty good, if memory serves.  To me, it depends on how much the second movie makes.  If the second makes 10 million or less, that's really owning the weekend.  Look how much Julia Roberts' movie Wonder made!  27 million!  But if nothing else, it still shows the importance of reading books, and that they still hold a little bit of sway in our damn near completely videocentric culture.  With a big emphasis on superhero movies.  The picture I post with these posts is usually vaguely related to the #1 movie, and this week is no different, because this might be a scene from the new Justice League movie.  Usually in these movies, a bad beacon is sent out at one juncture or another.
Our third and final debut this week is called The Star, which made exactly 10 million dollars in bank.  Now, being who I am, I at first thought to myself, why would, or rather how could, a re-release of an obscure Bette Davis movie do so well?  As usual, I never think of taking a second look at these things, so I looked again and found the appropriate link.  Here's the appropriate link.  It's another Pixar-type deal with a heavier-than-average roster of Hollywood heavyweights doing the voices.  Oprah?  And yet, it wasn't even one of her favorite things.  It didn't make the cover of her magazine, for God's sake!  Guess she's got bigger fish to fry.  But The Star couldn't have come at a better time, to help us think of the story of the First Christmas in a different way, as opposed to the Roy Moore defender who said the thing about how Mary and Joseph were underage too.  I'm also too fatigued to weigh in on Al Franken's incident... but I will say this!  I'm looking at the photo of Franken with his hands near the, um... chest area of Leeann Tweeden, and I dunno!  I don't think they were actually touching.  Just near.  That's right, I'm going to nitpick this horrific photograph now.  But I think Franken's hands were just comedically in a breast-grabbing position, and not actually crossing the line.  Also, there's all these other photos.  And if you Google some of the other photos of Leeann Tweeden, well... I won't post them here.  I try to keep this space family friendly, in spite of some of the thoughts conveyed.  No one wants to say that, I guess, that she posed in Playboy, but more importantly, she was an FHM girl.  But she's already accepted Franken's apology, so you'd think that'd be the end of it.  Also, I don't think there really needs to be a governmental investigation of Franken, but I guess it's nice to call for one.  And I sure as hell don't want to replace Franken with Roy Moore.  Too political?  Sorry... POLITICAL SPOILER ALERT.  But that's the theme this year, the first year of this current president.  I said once before the election that I kinda hope he wins.  Just to see what happens!  I didn't imagine it would be terribly beneficial for him or his family.  I guess they're getting some short term gains, though.  Ivanka's book, for one.  But the Republican party is so bankrupt of plausible candidates that they're already saying that someday Ivanka herself will be president.  Not that she wouldn't be lovely, but I think America needs to be taken a little more seriously in the world again.  Enough of "The Apprentice: Trump White House Edition" already.

No comments: