Sunday, May 26, 2019

Auteur Watch - Zora Neale Hurston

Well, if nothing else, she seems to have discovered some of Shakespeare's secret to longevity!  She died in 1960, but came back to life enough to write 1986's She's Gotta Have It... oh, just the opening quotation, I guess.  But still!  But nevertheless!!!  The WGA went to bat for her, and in the credits she stayed.  There's also "The Gilded Six Bits" and "Their Eyes Were Watching God," but... meh?  I mean, what about "Seraph on the Suwanee" and "Barracoon"?  Or "Every Tongue Got to Confess"?  Too grammatically incorrect for today's Hollywood?  I don't think so!  Or "Dust Tracks on A Road" or "The Skull Talks Back"?  I guess she took to writing more than directing.  But they do go hand in hand sometimes.  Jeff Daniels agrees (with Ben Mankiewicz talking about The Trip to Bountiful), as well as Benicio Del Toro ("The Big Interview" with Dan Rather)... see?  I've been busy!  Busy watching stuff, even though I don't blog all the time about it.  For some, I blog way too much, especially those who have to listen to my incessant type-ity type.

No comments: