Monday, October 14, 2019

Auteur Watch - Dante James

Brought to you by Dante James.  Dante James!  Because hey, we can't always talk about Joe Dante, now, can we?  But as long as we're tangentially on the subject, a quick shout-out to Dick Miller.  Miss you, buddy!  Okay, back to the world of documentaries.  If something is great, Dante James will be there to ... documentary-ize it?  Great Performances, the Great Depression... you name it, he's probably done it.  The nineties were probably his most favourite decade of all... pardon me, I mean The Nineties.  You know, Windows 95, Deee-Lite, balloon pants, what have you.  One of the last great decades in terms of fashion.
So things were humming along just fine for Mr. James, WHEN SUDDENLY... he produced something called "Black America: Facing the Millennium."  And how did he face the millennium?  Why, with an eight-year break or so, of course!  It says here he was doing something called... "raising a family."  Oh, puh-leeze.  Mexican housekeepers for that.  But whatever.  Potato, frittata, to each their own.  Oh, I'm down with gender fluidity, or minty equaniminity, what have you.  Totally down with that!  Whelp, I tell you one thing: I'll bet they didn't predict what 2019 would be like!  Or whoever was president before the Orange Hick that Russia installed in the White House now.  I know he used to be a New York pseudo-sophisticate, but who knows?  Maybe he's just a small-town hick after all.  I mean, even New York is a small town compared to this guy.  He's just a hick at heart, but with a building in Istanbul with his name on it.  Oh, shame on me... I keep politicizing these Auteur Watches like that.  Better lay down again!

No comments: