Friday, August 24, 2007

Did someone say McLovin? or 2007: The Year of the Rogen

I was going to use the typical Animal House framegrab, but then I thought, yeah, that conniving little Sandlot bastard is more like it. Look, Ma! The surge worked! The saturation ad campaign paid off, retro-Columbia logo and all. Superbad rakes in 33 million big ones to make it at #1. Not bad for an R comedy, like Wedding Crashers (now playing on HBO: a Dobkin joint...) And! On top of that, all these #1 movies lately seem to surge up the IMDb top 250. Why is that? I think the crews of these movies get payola to cast some votes.
Not Rush Hour 3, though, at #2. They're old school. Give 'em hell, Roman! Best role since Robert Blake in Money Train.

Bourne 3 at #3 is there to stay, on the other hand. #65! Give em hell, Greengrass.

Well, it took a month but The Simpsons Movie finally slid off the top 250! It's almost at the 200 million mark, though. Sequel time? I still say it's time for the Simpsons Halloween Movie! C'mon, guys, what with all the other crappy horror movies out there, a good one might make a difference.

Rounding out the top 5 it's the latest incarnation of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Hey, Nicole, with this and The Golden Compass, I think the new Bond's making a move on you! Watch your ass, Urban! Real bonzer!

------------------------------------------

As for the rest, Stardust, Hairspary, Underdog, Potter, the only one I have time to talk about is Chuck & Larry. Lemme just give a shout out to director Dennis Dugan. I can't believe I haven't already! This is the third Sandler film he's helmed. And with this, and the one couple in Big Daddy, my gay-dar went up. Oh yeah, and the whole Norman... Is That You? thing. And by that I mean one of the first films made from a video transfer. Guess he's not actually gay, though. He's made some pretty fabulous movies, I must admit. His next is another Sandler pic called Zohan. I assume, it's going to have Lindsay Lohan playing an alien from outer space, or from the Eastern Bloc, one or the other.


Okay, time to go. That rat bastard Stephen Hayes was benevolent enough on the Daily Show this week, but on Bill Maher's latest return to HBO? I don't think so. One of the tenets of the Bush Administration seems to be: debate everything forever. The Vietnam War was now fought all wrong. There's a connection between Iraq and 9/11. Darwin was wrong. Bush now says he admits there's no connection between 9/11 and Iraq. Some say that there's a new biography about Dick Cheney, but you know what? I don't believe it really exists. More debate on this later. :)

No comments: