Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Auteur Watch - Conal O'Brien

Ah, close enough. Doesn't she look like she could be Conan O'Brien's sister?
Anyway, back to the auteur at hand. Nice try, Conal, but we ain't buyin' it. There's riding coattails, and then there's riding coattails. Conal first popped onto my radar screen when I was watching my stories at the gym. I didn't know Conan was directing soaps on the side to pay the bills! So I had to investigate right away. Turns out it's a different guy, and this dude's resumé is so small that the Decade Theory just can't be applied using the information we got! But the main thing is, he and we got All My Children. I'm just glad Erica Kane finally got that award she wanted so we could all stop caring about it. I'd like to think Conal had something to do with that.
As it turns out, Mr. O'Brien hasn't been completely loyal. With two stints directing for As The World Turns, he's obviously a turncoat who can't be trusted with show secrets. And he did have a stab at the silver screen with 1993's The Secret, not based on the best-selling book with the same name.
Why, even Jack Canfield thinks O'Brien's film is a piece of crap! Oh, it's too sad to contemplate. So let's all raise a glass to Dr. Conal O'Brien, our Auteur of the Week. And may you get to Heaven well before any of the soap opera stars you've directed... that might not be technically feasible. Just don't use them as references with the Almighty, that's all I'm saying.

Conal O'Brien at Wikipedia

No comments: