Thursday, November 26, 2009

Hey! I Saw That... Blue State, that is

Not bad for a road trip movie that apparently was filmed just in San Francisco and Winnipeg. And not bad for the budget. In cases like these, I confess I can be a bit of a budget fetishist, but let's face it: $950,000 just doesn't go as far as it did, say, about twenty years ago. And the fact that it was filmed in 16mm is even more admirable, indeed. At least it didn't look like streaky crappy digital video. I'm reminded of Grand Theft Parsons all of a sudden. How much was the budget on that? ...oh, they'll never tell! Anyway, the plot is based on the urban legend, most often attributed to Alec Baldwin. A dude (Breckin Meyer) declares that he'll move to Canada if Dubya wins the 2004 election. Ah, a period piece. And what a lousy period. Of course, when Meyer uttered the famous phrase I got the feeling his heart wasn't in it. Maybe he's like me, and still depressed over how that election turned out. Anyway, the story was a bit thin, so veteran Anna Paquin comes along for the ride. She's cooler than he, but she's got her own issues, too. Meyer did plan ahead, though, and he has a destination in Canada. Kinduva cross between The Sure Thing and Be Your Age, more like the latter. I wouldn't dream of spoiling the plot any further, if only out of respect.

***
-so sayeth The Movie Hooligan

No comments: