Friday, December 27, 2013

Still Smaug-y!

I thought for sure it'd be gone by now!  No, people still need their Hobbit fix.  Meanwhile, the debuts are struggling; even Oscar darlings like The Wolf of Wall Street.  And despite the TV ad bombardment, The Secret Life of Walter $#!tty... I mean Mitty... opened at #7.  I think it's because, well, I'll give two reasons.  1) People are tired of Ben Stiller, and 2) they saw Kristen Wiig as the love interest and said "Really?  Kristen Wiig as the love interest?  She's this generation's female Peter Sellers, and she's wasted on a romantic lead role?  Where's Bridesmaids 2?  Where's the SNL movie of the Laurence Welk show where she's the singer with tiny hands?  Where's... whatever else she's known for?"  I know that's what I thought.  But that's not even the saddest box office story out there.  Keanu Reeves debuts even lower with his latest called 47 Ronin.  I blame the public for that one.  What, suddenly everyone's tired of historical dramas with awesome ass-kicking action in it?  Society has clearly failed.  No wonder suicide rates go up during the holidays... I'm sorry, apparently that's a long perpetuated myth.  It's probably just that suicides during the holidays are statistically and emotionally more significant.  On to more positive topics!

No comments: