Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Passion of the Kirk

Somehow, I don't feel worthy to watch the 2009 Star Trek reboot.  I don't know why, exactly.  Must be the extremely expensive-looking special effects.  And since J. J. Abrams is involved, I'm assuming the script is very, very faithful to the original TV show.  Which is probably not as hard as it could have been, since there were only three seasons of it.  Maybe it's all the young, photogenic people in the cast that alienates me from this film... no pun intended.  But no matter how expensive these things get, you can always count on the good old-fashioned bar fight.  I think there's at least one.  The first, of course, is the important one.  Young Captain Kirk practically becomes a member of Project Mayhem on that one!  He gets the crap beat out of him, and his face all cluttered up with fake bruises.  It is then he gets the invite from Bruce Greenwood to follow in his father's footsteps, much like Flounder following in his older brother's footsteps in Animal House.  I'm reminded of the story arc of Starship Troopers 1 for some reason, except that Johnny Rico wanted to join up against his father's wishes.  A slightly different cast of characters here.
We sat in eerie silence this evening while watching the Blu-Ray, but the time travel element snapped my viewing companion out of the spell.  I told him that in Timecop, we learn that you can't touch your other self from an alternate timeline, or you both end up getting destroyed in an ugly disappearing flesh amalgam.  They stayed true to that, oddly enough!  I think we're overdue for the sequel.  My viewing companion did want to see it; me myself, I've got other fish to fry.

***1/2
-so sayeth The Movie Hooligan

No comments: