Saturday, January 10, 2015

A little Fantasy, a little History are Top of the Pops

Mildly interesting dichotomy at the American box office this weekend.  But the numbers indicate that fantasy is still the theme of choice.  As usual, I missed the conventional and unconventional ad channels for Taken 3.  I'm told by the poster that the story of Bryan Mills is only going to be told in three installments, which is probably for the best.  At 62 years old, Liam Neeson's probably getting too old for this s.... stuff.  I mean, didn't he star in Schindler's List once upon a time?  He should think about retiring again!
Meanwhile, a story about Martin Luther King Jr. takes second place this weekend with Selma.  I dunno.  Maybe it's just me, but I'd feel a little better about seeing it if it were based on a book.  Plus, MLK's portrayed by a British dude!  If Colbert were still on the air, he might complain about that.  Guess it's up to me to fill the void.  Also, I'm probably just a racist cracker at heart, but I'm reminded of the performance of John Hancock in The Bonfire of the Vanities as a corrupt reverend.  He sadly passed on soon after that movie, but dayamn, he had a voice that sounded a bit like MLK to me.
Those are the only two debuts this week.  Generally, however, now that Christmas is over, everything's down.  Down, down and dreadfully down!  Why, The Hobbit made less than 10 million!  What's Peter Jackson going to do ten years from now to revitalize his career?  He's got too much pride to do the last installments of Narnia if those ever get green-lit.  I gotta go...

No comments: