Sunday, July 16, 2017

Monkey Business

...oh, right.  Almost forgot to do this.  Welp, it's time once again for my weekly brain fart about this weekend's box office.  And I'm thinking the Boulle estate must be feeling a little happy about it, even though the new WGA rules seem to be trying to push him out of the picture.  That's Pierre Boulle, who worked on the screenplay for The Bridge on the River Kwai, but his real meat and potatoes comes from a little idea called Planet of the Apes.  You may have heard of it.  That happens with writers sometimes.  You founder around, looking for a subject that interests you.  And when you find it... boom.  Lifetime obsession and or a whole new cash cow.  Kinda like with Blatty and the Exorcist series, you know?  I mean, let's face it.  John Goldfarb, Please Come Home! was cute and all, but it don't pay the bills, knowhutI'msayin?
So it's #1, of course, that new Apes movie, but I'm assuming Valerian will knock it out of place next week.  This week's a slow one.  Also, kinda professionally depressing to me because I gotta go back to work on Tuesday.  Gotta set aside all my dreams for another five months.  The only other debut this week is the latest PG-13 horror pic and it's called Wish Upon.  They say it's from the director of Annabelle, but I'm not going to see that either.  No disrespect to the director; I'm a fan of your brother's work.

No comments: