Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Auteur Watch - Madonna

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. But, The Movie Hooligan! Madonna's not an auteur! You're just deliberately picking controversial choices to gain attention! Well, that is true. But I'll give my two reasons for this. 1) It says here that image uploads will be disabled for two hours due to maintenance on THIS VERY DAY, so I'm trying to make the publishing deadline, and 2) even though she'd be the first to tell you that she's given wing to more two-bit hack directors vis-a-vis her music videos than she'd care to admit, (FINCHER!!!!!!!!!!) I couldn't help but notice on Ms. Ciccone's IMDb page that the Bay City Material Girl's got a directing credit on her CV! The first is something called Filth and Wisdom, and if there were any two words to sum up her long glorious career, those two will do just fine somehow. The other is the upcoming W.E, and it looks pretty damn ambitious if I do say so myself. It's Madonna's tribute to her two favorite films of all time: Julie & Julia, and Wall-E. It has the title of Julie and Julia, and the plot of Wall-E... or vice versa, I can't remember which. And like all people like Madonna of Madonna's age, they cling with bony claw to the youth, like Abbie Cornish. Fasten your seatbelt, Ab, because it's going to be a bumpy ride!

No comments: