Saturday, November 27, 2010

Worst Dick Cavett show EVER!

Last seen on: Fox Movie Channel. They'd never show it on Fox News Movie Channel
I hate to be so glib, but HealtH does suck. I originally thought it was spelled H.E.A.L.T.H. so I'd get to say H.E.A.L.T.H. S.U.C.K.S. but instead, to be grammatically correct, it's HealtH SuckS. But, like most Altman pictures, there's something about it. Oh, maybe if I was watching it by myself I'd sit through the whole thing... or, maybe just wash dishes and crank up the sound, something like that. Now, the Maltin guide (spelling it "Health") says Alfre Woodard steals the show, and it is weird to see her looking so young and still with some of her baby fat, but for me, Glenda Jackson takes the cake. Britain's Ellen Burstyn, she apparently drew on her life experience as a former member of Parliament to play Isabella Garnell, the self-important political candidate for... I never really was able to figure that out. Was she and Lauren Bacall running for President of the United States, or for President of the HealtH gathering? Oh, I guess it was for the big presidency, given Carol Burnett's character saying over and over that she was from the White House. Maybe the premise was too far out for the time, or maybe it was the perfect reflection of California politics at the time. Cavett looked like he was working harder than he wanted to on this movie. And of course, James Garner plays Carol Burnett's ex-husband, a blatant opportunity for witty PG-rated reparteé. I was watching this with a couple viewing companions and a vote was taken to abort the proceedings just around the time Jackson was delivering a speech through a megaphone from that high-up tower. I swear I thought I saw Lori Singer as a young waitress.
Update: Sunday, Dec. 19: RODALE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

**1/2
-so sayeth The Movie Hooligan

No comments: