Sunday, December 04, 2011

Moe in a giant girl's dress: $16. Moe in a giant girl's dress beating Curly with a balloon: priceless.

Sorry, folks, but I let you down, what can I say? Late for another Stooge deadline, but I can't think of a better one to cut short than Nutty but Nice. Well, maybe a Joe Besser short or two. Sure, there are plenty of good Stooge moments in this one, but I've got a serious problem with the plot structure. And yes, it should matter to you, too. The Stooges play their ACTUAL selves in this one: showbiz entertainer types who get sucked into a kidnapping plot. Rather, they impose themselves upon it. They start off as waiters in a theme restaurant. No offense; I mean, I love Larry as much as the next guy, but I'm hesitant to drink a cup of water that's been in any man's pocket.
Okay, I'm starting to ramble, so I better cut this short like I said I was going to. Something about the kidnapping plot I couldn't stomach in this one. If they play detectives, fine. If they're entertainers that feel a sense of obligation to a little girl they didn't entertain, not so much. And maybe it was something about Moe in drag I found off-putting. But hey! At least he didn't have nail polish on his fingers! A little bonus for my loyal readers: that's my Kryptonite. If I see a man with nail polish on his fingernails, I stop and stare. Well, I stop and stare at most things anyway, but that especially. Oh, and, let me give a brief shout out to one of the future Stooge players: the bad guy whose big move is turning and staring in fear... I'll look up his name later; we'll be seeing a lot more of him as the weeks progress, anyway. Ultimate verdict: not hunting this one down on DVD.

One last note I meant to add but forgot: the Stooges, never one to miss an opportunity to lift a joke from elsewhere, seem to, in my humble opinion, pay a tribute to the whole reincarnation angle of Laurel and Hardy's The Flying Deuces. In their desperate manhunt, Curly stops to examine a horse. "Don't you believe in reincarnation?" he says. Busted!

***
-so sayeth The Movie Hooligan

No comments: