Saturday, June 14, 2014

Auteur Watch - Miguel Garzón Martínez

...wait a minute!  Isn't this name out of order?  Ah, no one's paying any attention anyway.  Besides, the spirit moved me... TO A BIGGER HOUSE!!!  Whoops.  I said the loud part quiet and the quiet part loud.
Anyway, if there's one thing I learned about being on the Facebooks, is that it's really more for the celebrities.  I know I've said this before, but if Charlie Sheen were to post on the Facebooks something like "I just picked a booger that looks exactly like Justin Bieber!" he would get a thousand people posting in response "That is so sexy.  Please marry me."  And second, much like Brad Pitt's description of his team in Moneyball, Hollywood has a strict caste system.  You got your A-listers, of course, that everyone knows and loves.  Then you got your B-listers who get their stuff shown after hours on Cinemax.  Then there's all the stuff on The Movie Channel and Showtime... ouch!  Oh, right, I forgot.  They're good now.  Everyone's got web exclusive series and junk.
And then, there's a vast middle ground of people just waiting to join the A-listers.  They're doing the work, they're making the short films, acting as director and chief lighting cameraman, and developing the film at 3 a.m. and doing the catering.  All they need is their shot at the brass ring, and they're ready to go.  You know, kinda like Christine Lahti or Elayne Boozler.  They've got the right attitude, those two.  But what about guys like Miguel here?  When is it his turn in the sun?  Why can't he be the proverbial fourth Beatle with Guillermo del Toro and that handsome Innaritu bastard?  Sorry, that was rather racist, even for me, I know.  ...what was the other guy?  Alfonso Cuaron, right.  I wonder how that Believe show is doing.  Personally, I think I'd find it stressful being on the run so much.  Everything in moderation, especially adrenaline.
...where was I?  Oh, right.  Martinez's latest project is Breaking Bad... I mean, Breaking Point.  Check out the teaser trailer on YouTube.  Personally, I think the room's too dark, don't you, folks?  It's supposed to be "movie dark," not actual dark.

...okay, here's the actual trailer.  Okay, the lighting's better, but I dunno.  Still kinda hammy.  Plus, the story's maybe a little too generic?  I mean, can you think of one other movie where an undercover cop infiltrates a gang, and the gang leader or one of the alpha gang members gets suspicious?  I'll give you some titles to start with.  Donnie Brasco, The Fast and the Furious 1 (2001), White Heat, Stalag 17, Kiss of Death (1995), Kiss of Death (1947), ... here's a link to a list of "informer" titles.

No comments: