Thursday, October 09, 2008

Box Office Bottleneck, pt. 1

More disturbing trends yet. This rise of the anti-secular box office is a little off-putting, to say the least (TSTL). I mean, if not for Religulous (#10) and Burn After Reading (#7), who knows what else would be knocking at #1's door? Fred Ashman's Proud American? Meanwhile we have the anti-Michael Moore screed, An American Carol. If this lasts another week, Chris Farley's brother is going to change his name to Jim Belushi. And Fireproof goes to town with one gold piece and brings back 3.99 million. So I say unto thee, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. And I owe you an Auteur Watch, as promised.
Seriously, though, I'm always in favor of films that promote discussion, especially when I talk to people who tell me how defective my brain is if I don't see things their way. Republicans and Jesus freaks! Lord protect me from your followers! Moving on to #6 it's Lakeview Terrace, a pro-Daryl Gates screed that ... oh, wait. It's not that bad, but I still ain't gonna see it. Sorry, Samuel L. But I will see that new one you got coming out, The Five Heartbeats pt. 2 I think it's called.
And I'm spent.

No comments: