Sunday, May 10, 2009

Auteur Watch - James Ivory


Guess this means Merchant is his Ebony! Oh, no he di'int! Sadly, Merchant threw off this mortal coil four years ago, so when Ivory eventually makes his way to the pearly gates, Ismail will be waiting for him, going "You bastard! It wasn't true love!" See, because as we all know, if a married couple is really in love, the second one will die exactly three days after the first one goes... Well, that's what I read on the web, anyway.
Yeah, he's been around forever but the first James Ivory film I ever saw was A Room With A View. And apparently, Daniel-Day Lewis has been trying to avoid being typecast in his role in that film ever since: the bookish nerd. When is he going to own up and play the role he was born to play? Bono! Scorsese could direct.
But I digress once again, and I certainly wouldn't be worth my weight in salt as a film aficionado if I didn't already know that Ivory has traditionally had two major collaborators: producer Ismail Merchant and screenwriter Ruth Prawer Jhabvala. They have 10 Oscar nominations between them, and Ruth won two! Craazy. One for Room with a View, and the other for Howards End, which I never saw. Heard it was good, though... actually, I heard it was a little far-fetched, but that must've been its heart. Little known fact: Jhabvala has written exclusively for Ivory's films! ...Madame Sousatzka? That bitch! I gotta go..................

No comments: