Saturday, May 30, 2009

"Well, you gotta spend money to make money, Lou."

You know, sitting here as I am, broken-hearted, had to... I mean, it's midnight, I've got the window open on this hot summer-esque eve, semi-communing with nature, until it takes a nightmarous turn when I hear the primordial struggle played out on the front yard. Sounded like a raccoon trying to eat a baby rabbit. Anyway, I couldn't help but think, man! This week's box office has probably got a billion dollars worth of budget in it! Night at the Museum 2, Star Trek, and X-Men all cost 150 million apiece, Terminator 4 cost 200 million, and Lord knows how much Angels & Demons cost. (See how I did that?) I'm sure Monsters v. Aliens was no low-budge indie affair. These PDI/Pixar things typically aren't. Doogal, on the other hand, was literally done on an Altair 8800.

On the cheaper side, Obsessed and 17 Again cost 20 million apiece, and Dance Flick clocks in at 25 million. God bless the frugal! Meanwhile, Milan Trenc and Greg Glienna are at the bar, drinking together. Oh yeah, I used to be in the movies. It's a tough racket. This is the highest of high stakes poker, my friend.
So, for all that money spent, let's say about 800 million dollars, they only raked in 211.85 million this week at the box office. Unfortunately, there's only so much of it to go around. Thank God it only goes to the top 1% or so. Wouldn't want to have a strong middle class in this country! People that might actually go to SEE these damn things. From a statistical point of view, more movies are sharing the lion's share than ever before. I try to remember to keep an eye on where the 10 million dollar cutoff is... This week, the top 5 made at least 10 million! ...I don't know how rare that is. Sigh. Back to the old drawing board.

No comments: