Friday, May 01, 2009

Auteur Watch - Alejandro González Iñárritu

Whew! Good thing I cut 'n pasted it. I'd never figure out all those accents. Our next in the yearlong Alphabetical Procession of auteurs, and it couldn't have come at a more exciting time. He's teaming up with Chigurh for Biutiful, his 2009 directorial release. Yeah, it's just not fair. Some guys have all the luck. He doesn't quite qualify yet for my Decades Theory, as the 2000s is his only decade so far. Here's hoping the 2010s are more bountiful at the Box Office, and more Gold-worthy at the Oscars.
I believe it was Roger Ebert, or the Oscar "reporters" who lumped him with Alfonso Cuaron and Guillermo del Toro, dubbing them The Big Three. Naturally I have to compare these guys to other directors: del Toro seems to be the Mexican Robert Zemeckis. I haven't placed Cuaron yet. He hasn't had enough hits to be the Mexican Steven Spielberg... He did one of the Harry Potter flicks so that should make him the Mexican Chris Columbus. Which makes Inarritu the Mexican Quentin Tarantino. Only handsome. But from what I can gather, Amores Perres follows the Pulp Fiction non-linear formula, and 21 Grams was even more so - almost to the point of non-entertainment. Again, what I've heard second hand. Haven't seen Babel, either. Man, what's up with me? I'm practically an illiterate for a so-called movie reviewer. But I do expect great things far, far into the future from Iñárritu. Maybe it's the Souter talking, but I think of him like a Supreme Court Justice of the cinema. He's got his whole life ahead of him, one theatrical release every three years for decades into the future, and just like John Roberts and Sam Alito he'll be around for a long, long time. Only in a good way. That's about all I got for this guy.

No comments: