Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Comparative Cinema 101: Fargo vs. North Country


In other news, we've gone from PG to PG-13 in the Harry Potters. Will we get to R by the seventh one? Goblet of Fire due in November. Why, I haven't even seen all of the third one! From what I saw, there's a hostage-style scene with Gary Oldman and David Thewlis, and for a second I thought I was watching Prick Up Your Ears.
Just saw a TV trailer for Syriana, or as they say on the Simpsons, Saudi Israelia. Glad to see Stephen Gaghan sobered up long enough to direct this Traffic-style saga. First drugs, now oil. Next thing you know they'll be attacking our American dependence on bananas, or chocolate.
So, Joe Wilson was on the Larry King show tonight. I'm telling you! If this was a Tom Clancy novel, Jack Ryan or Op Center- take your pick, everyone involved in leaking Plame's name would be taken care of in a Godfather-style, or Godfather 2-style, ending in which everyone gets whacked. Or maybe, whisked away to The Prisoner... I mean, the Island.
Meantime, Jeff Daniels' new movie was pointed out on The Colbert Report: The Squid and the Whale. Jeff must've thought he was making You Can Count on Me. And Noah Baumbach must've thought: this'll be just like Zissou except I'll get the profits this time!

No comments: