Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Get ready for...


Another big burst of short reviews! Brought to you by goatmilkicecream.com. Okay, bills paid.
But before we get on with it, this is indeed the new year, but if you're Jewish it's been about 4 months into it, right? Anyway, I'm looking forward to summer already. I must be getting older, and really tired of digging my way out of snow. But in my travails and my travels I happen to run across a terrific quote by the man himself, Dr. Martin Luther King. For copyright purposes I it was from a speech he gave at the UAW's 25th Anniversary dinner on April 27, 1961. I particularly like it because it shows he's STILL ahead of his time. See, the hot word on the street put out there by some wise-ass fiscal conservative that got under my skin was that the free market would have eventually put an end to segregation. So, here's Dr. King's quote:

"Social progress never rolls in on the wheels of inevitability. It comes through the tireless efforts and persistent work of dedicated individuals. Without this hard work, time itself becomes the ally of the insurgent and primitive forces of social stagnation. So in order to realize the American dream of economic justice and the brotherhood of man, men and women all over the nation must continue to work for it."

Now, Dr. King said that 47 years ago (two score and seven). So, for those of you out there who read that but still think to yourselves "Well, I still think the free market would've eventually ended segregation anyway" to them I say, ain't it just like a fiscal conservative to stand up for a half-baked notion they say EVENTUALLY would've worked. Don't even bother explaining why or how, because such an expenditure of energy would simply be uncivilized. Reminds me of a certain global struggle we've become entangled in! Now, if Clinton said it'll be for the next president to figure out ...

Okay, enough of my yappin'. Time for some movie yappin' as we subtly progress into...

No comments: