Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Speaking of 'The View'...


Happy belated Valentine's Day, everybody! (And if this image doesn't get me into some kind of hot water, maybe THIS one still will.) Time to throw out all that cheap Valentine's Day crap and move on to St. Patrick's Day stuff. You know, I tend not to disagree with comedians, but I have a bone to pick with that one who said "I don't get Valentine's Day. Why do I have to pay for the love on one day that I get free for the rest of the year?" I'm probably not doing the quote justice, but c'mon ladies. You KNOW only a man would say that. But, you can't help but love us anyway, right?
And following in the Inverse Law of Box Office Holidays tradition started with the likes of The Silence of the Lambs, this week's box office finds America craving blood and guts. And who better to give 'em what they want than producer/director extraordinaire Michael Bay. I give up... is this a Friday the 13th reboot or what? Personally, I'm waiting for Friday the 13th Part 13. I mean, you'd THINK they'd be going for that, right? Well, that's why I only write about Hollywood.
Meanwhile, we've got a lot of the same old crap left over from last week, and THAT'S not terribly romantic! He's Just Not that Into You holds strong at #2. I guess this means a movie version of Greg Behrendt is Uncool is just around the corner. Taken takes the 3rd biggest haul this week, and I'm pretty sure the champagne's flowing at Luc's place. Not because he's celebrating, but because he's still steamed about the abject failure of the Arthur et les Minimoys series...
Coraline at #4. Why, I bet Tim Burton was in on it now! And at 5, producer Jerry Bruckheimer proves once again that he can commandeer the box office any time he sets his mind to it and... oh, wait. Anyway, Confessions of a Shopaholic debuts at #5, and somewhere Don Simpson is in hell right now, laughing his ass off. I think it's time for a film called Confessions of a Moviegoer. Might explain a lot of these top 10 lists!...
---As for the rest of you dregs...
At #7, Clive Owen's latest, The International, now rakes in 11 million instead of 10 like they said on Sunday. Damn! There really IS a conspiracy!
Pink Panther 2 at #8. Who knows, maybe it's funnier than Steve's latest appearance on SNL. Maybe Traitor had more laughs than both combined.
Push almost got pushed off the top 10 list, but in a way, that's good. Now I can't mention it at the end of the year when I pay homage to all the films that only lasted one week in the Top 10. Sorry, McGuigan, you got screwed by Icon! That's funny, I thought he did V for Vendetta.
But let's end on Slumdog Millionaire. How long can this damn thing last? It's been going great for the last 5. This might be its last week amongst the ever fickle Top 10, but I'm pretty sure I can hear someone frantically re-engraving a certain Best Picture Oscar...
Brought to you by Caption Swap.

No comments: