Friday, October 31, 2014

Short Reviews - November 2014

Kill the Messenger - Boy, the CIA's the place to work.  Smear campaigns, making serious coin off the drug war... let me know if they disappear me, huh?

The Good Shepherd - Good double bill with... W?

Olive Kitteridge - I'd get HBO for you, Frances, but alas, my finances are in tatters

Big Driver - Apparently, the guy who hit Stephen King is not forgiven!

The Longshots - Hmm!  It's been a while since Fred Durst has directed anything... oh, no.  He's not going back to music, is he?  Good Lourdes.

Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever - Now I KNOW I'm going to have my worst Christmas this year as well

Interstellar - DUDES.... IN..... SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE..............

City Slickers 2 - I hate to keep harping on the same subjects over and over... but can someone explain this to me?  You're Billy Crystal and Rob Reiner.  It's the '90s and the two of you couldn't be hotter, career wise.  You decide to greenlight the sequel to City Slickers.  Now it comes time to pick a director.  Well, Rob's too busy with other A-List projects, so who's next?  I got it!  How about the guy who directed Leonard Part 6?  I mean, what's the logic in that choice, other than he works for cheap and, after something like Leonard Part 6, he'll be easy to push around?  Was his stuff for British TV just that good?

Make Mine Freedom - This cartoon may have predicted the future 50 years ago... or 66, whatever... it's just not terribly entertaining.  Plus, it's a waste of Billy Bletcher, damn it!  A damn waste!!!  Also, unions in bed with government doesn't seem to have turned out as well for the unions as corporations in bed with government has for corporations.  But that's just my take on it.  I'm obviously no expert.

To Die For - I wonder if Mary Kay Letourneau ever just wants to break out of this marriage of hers... well, maybe.  She's back in jail again.  Oh, she's a bad girl, no question!  Been that way her whole life.  I'm guessing the Right Wing is against... hmm!  I wonder.  Maybe the Right Wing is split in two over this.  Half of them find the marriage abominable, and half think, well... every marriage is precious.  I mean, I myself have struggled with this for a long time, but I came to realize that marriage is a gift from God, even when it's that horrible situation of a teacher marrying one of their students.  It is something that God intended to happen.

Jersey Boys - Good triple bill with Beyond the Sea and Ray.

Impromptu - Good double bill with... Miss Julie?

Okay, I just finally looked again at that list of 18 films you will never, ever want to see again.  A lot of them I haven't even seen for a first time, so I guess I lucked out.  I think I would add Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer to that list.  Powerful filmmaking and violent in some surprising ways... but I think I got the point the first go-round.  Why, even the filmmakers themselves kinda thought so on the DVD commentary!

The Road - Ooh!  I wanna see that one sometime!  Well, what can I say?  Aragorn's in it.

Greetings from Tim Buckley - With Imogen Poots as Liz Fraser?  I haven't seen it, so I don't know

Annie (2014) - So we got this and the new Honeymooners movie, and the new Karate Kid... is this list too creepy?  I'm starting to creep myself out.  See, apparently the KKK keeps a similar list.  And yet, the new Arthur is still a white British guy.  Was Lenny Henry so busy?

No comments: