Friday, May 15, 2015

Auteur Watch - Ralph Cooper

Now, here's an interesting figure from the past!  At least, for me, if only because that's how limited my film education is.  Ralph Cooper was apparently known as "The Dark (Clark) Gable"... I think because he played the bad guy a lot.  He worked in Hollywood a bit in the '30s and '40s, but the only roles he could get was stuff like playing the bug-eyed colored gentlemen in Stooge films.  He fought Hollywood and Hollywood won.  Another shame.  This is the kind of guy they should probably talk about on, oh, I don't know... TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES??!!!!  Hel-LLLOOOOO!!!!  Maybe Bob Dorian mentioned him once on the old American Movie Classics channel... wow.  The IMDb doesn't have Bob Dorian?  Am I in trouble now?  Tell the NSA I love America!  Anyway, Cooper was brought on as a special consultant on that hot mess known as The Cotton Club, so hope springs eternal!  If you're good at something, you just might eventually get hired for it!

No comments: