Friday, January 15, 2010

Auteur Watch - Asia Argento

Man, this chick's messed up. And I don't say that lightly. She almost makes Jennifer Chambers Lynch look normal. They should remake Thelma & Louise together... call it Boxing Thelma & Louise, heh heh. Sorry, had to go for it. Of course, JCL's a grandma compared to our girl Asia! Why, AA's a citizen of the world, chillin' with Catherine Breillat, hangin' with her boyfriend in Hong Kong, what have you. Now I know what you're thinking: if there were a comparable dude you wouldn't be so hard on them! Not necessarily true. Harmony Korine and Jody Hill come to mind. Get a room, guys!
I hesitate to use my patented Decade Theory on Ms. Argento, as it doesn't seem to apply. Surely she has a fondness for the 80s and 90s, if only because of the filter of youth. I fear that decades to come won't be as iconic as the late 60s, 70s, and early 80s were, but hey. Sometimes you gotta clast your own icons. Asia's cultivating a party girl persona, but trust me. Any party person eventually comes around, and they end up doing family comedies for Disney in the end... close enough.

No comments: