Sunday, January 30, 2011

How can it be wrong when it feels so rite?

I should be ecstatic as the Coens have scored their biggest box office hit yet, and it just keeps raking in the dough! Well, the excitement wears off the older you get, and besides. Where's the info on their next pic? Guess I gotta subscribe to IMDb pro to get that. I've delayed it long enough, I suppose. Sorry, Ethan, but out of habit I still go to Joel's entry page. I guess I also owe an apology to Bobby Farrelly, but everyone knows Peter's the alpha Farrelly brother. Guess you Farrelly boys lost Mary Zophres for good, huh? Tee hee hee... Anyway, back to the present. You know, that Bill Maher can ruin anything, but apparently the various religious communities of our increasingly theocratic American nation aren't up in arms over The Rite for some reason. I was going to say that it must be good, in that case, but we've come too far for that. If there's one thing the church is not, it's not a movie critic. But it's Hannibal as a priest that's still #1 with a liver and some fava beans and a nice Chianti this week, no doubt about it. No recount necessary. And it was directed by... Lasse Hallström? Mikael Salomon? Jonas Åkerlund? ...Mikael Håfström! That's it. I always get that wrong. The other debut this week is the latest Jason Statham explosion delivery device that Luc Besson apparently had nothing to do with! And it's called The Mechanic. How it's different from a cleaner I'll never know. Meanwhile, the box office of the Bridges is coming to a close as Tron 2's almost out of the top 10. Gone but not forgotten. We'll always remember that film as the debut of new puppetry technology. They're able to take old film clips of an actor and make life-like-esque puppets out of them. They went with Jeff in Against All Odds, apparently, which was a mere two years or so after the original Tron. They would've used footage from the original Tron, but he spent about 90% of the picture in that stupid virtual reality! Unusable. At least, as far as I can remember. I can't go back and watch it, I just can't.

No comments: