Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I-Ski Love-Ski Skating-Ski

I hate to fault the animation of A Date to Skate, but... there it is, plain as day.  It raises an interesting philosophical dilemma, though: what do the people do who lay down these cels and shoot them when they see a mistake like that?  Is it too late to go back and fix it?  Or can they call the whole thing to a halt... in this case, I guess it's obviously the former.
Still, this isn't one of my favourite Popeye shorts, but it's growing on me, I guess.  Especially that Third Act.  I confess; I'm an action junkie, and I expect Popeye to deliver the goods every once in a while.  Reminds me of the time Olive went skiing, and things got a bit out of hand for her.  Olive's response at the end of this one, however, just might surprise you.
If I were better, I'd know what that music was that they used in Learn Polikeness that they reused here.  What is it?!!  Must've been pretty darn special.  Also, I think Jack Mercer did the voice of the roller skating shoe ... guy.  Clerk?  Hander-outer?  No wonder I can't find a job!  Geeze Loueeze.

***1/2
-so sayeth The Movie Hooligan

No comments: