Monday, May 31, 2010

Tears for Frears: Hey! Remember the 1997s?

This is what I get for waiting too long to review a movie. I gotta learn to do these right away: snap, snap, snap the fingers! Keep the product moving. Anyway, in The Queen's favor, at least it was short. These sprawling epics get me down sometimes, man. Who's got time anymore to see a whole movie, anyway? Not even the filmmakers themselves!
Now, I've seen a lot of superhero and comic book movies lately, but I gotta say that The Queen's got to be the weirdest one yet. I mean, she supposedly has all these powers, and everyone in the movie acts like she does, but where are they? First of all, she's old. What superhero is old? Only her! Second, her sole power seems to be the ability to drive a Jeep... which she gets stuck in a river. Uh, hello? No powers of foresight into the future? And does she fly back to base camp? No! She gets on a cell phone to tell one of the servants that the jeep broke down! I guess that passes for super these days.
Now I know what you're thinking, and you're absolutely wrong. I'm NOT being hard on The Queen because she's a chick. I'd be just as hard on a dude in a similar situation. And this James Cromwell guy, well, he's not exactly Captain America himself. But I will say he looks a little more like the real Prince Charles than the guy they got to portray him. Oh well. Plus, the whole thing's a little too British for my taste. I guess I've gotten too accustomed to the British sidekick shoring up the American hero. That's just one Brit, I can handle that. Not the whole damn country!
What else did I like about the movie? Well, I thought Christopher Hitchens was awfully good as Robin Janvrin. He's always fun when he goes on the Bill Maher show, especially when he gets good and drunk. And pretty-boy Michael Sheen was good as well. I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of him yet, and nor has Peter Morgan, apparently!

***
-so sayeth The Movie Hooligan

No comments: