Sunday, August 29, 2010

Auteur Watch - Beeban Kidron

Greetings, my seven followers! On to the next auteur. And oh, she is a good one. Fond memories I do have, which is why I'll posit right up front that the 90s are her favourite decade. High-profile gigs, like the stereotype- and cliché-ridden Used People. Used Cars? No, that's Used People. Oh, I forgot. Todd Graff's a Broadway darling now. He's a director in his own right, so who needs Beeban anymore? Lots, as it turns out. She tried to corner the market on wordy titles with her next two offings, Hookers Hustlers Pimps and Their Johns and To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar. As the Stooges said on one occasion, whew! What a moniker. So ol' B.B. was at her pinnacle but like peak oil it just wasn't meant to last, and the 2000s were spent in a sort of Journeyman mode... is that the right phrase? Quietly building the ol' legacy, she ended up destroying the Bridget Jones franchise, but who knows? Maybe Christian Bale and Christopher Nolan can revitalize and re-imagineer it. But the 2010s could be a new beginning for ol' B.K. She's got the upcoming Hippie Hippie Shake. Oh, I know that! The Beatles sang that one. I know, I know, the plot is: An account of counterculturalist Richard Neville's misadventures in London at the end of the 1960s. Same thing. The end. ¶ Oh, I almost forgot to add about Used People: it was part of a 20th Century Fox movie bundling scheme that involved Used People, Hoffa and... something else. Maybe the re-release of Blade Runner. I attended a college screening of Used People with someone who had to walk out during the part where a character recreates a scene from The Graduate but with an S&M twist... remember? Oh, never mind. Thank me on facebook later for the memories. God, I love facebook. If there's no facebook in Heaven, I ain't goin'. That's all there is to it.

No comments: