Sunday, March 19, 2006

Auteur Watch: Darren Aronofsky


Damn! I don't have it. I thought I taped it when the pre-Oscars show was on. Rachel Weisz was being interviewed and Darren was hanging back, waiting for her to finish. They're married! Hopefully, the new Oscar-gap won't hurt their marriage, as with Alec and Kim. Anyway, so tonight's still photo is instead from when P.S. Hoffman was being interviewed, and I saw Joel Coen in the background. I guess Ethan didn't attend, since Tricia Cooke wasn't nominated.
But back to Darren. Pi being his low-budge debut, and Requiem for a Dream being the big Hollywood debut, Darren's been taking it easy for a while. The Fountain seems to be taking a while to complete in post-production; is that a good thing? There's a couple irons in the fire, Flicker, and Lone Wolf and Cub. Sounds New-Age. ..oh dear, just read about it. Another graphic novel adaptation, but this time about a samurai. Samurais must be the new cyborgs or something.
All right! There's movement. Not on Hail Caesar yet, but the cast is being hammered out for No Country for Old Men. Sa-weeeet! Keep up the good work, guys.
In the latest watchings, saw some of Son of the Mask. Ick! Puerile! Hideous! I still have a little respect left for the first one, but man! What a waste on this second one. Might've been better if he never tried on the mask at all. Peter Guber might've liked that; I'm sorry, I meant Jon Peters. I think I'll have to do Lawrence Guterman in the next (brief) installment of Auteur Watch.

No comments: