Thursday, October 03, 2013

There Will Be Durante

Well, for those of you who think Cuckoo on a Choo-Choo represents the lowest of the lows in Stooge films, here's a slight step back up the slope!  It's called Up in Daisy's Penthouse, and I hope you're looking forward to it.  Me myself, I think I can probably take it or leave it for some reason.  Let's find out why!

...oh, I was thinking of Gypped in the Penthouse.  Never mind.  Wow!  What a week!  Popeye AND the Stooges end up hanging from flagpoles.  They're not sick but they're not well, no doubt about it.  Anyway, Shemp gets to stretch his acting chops in this remake of 3 Dumb Clucks, where Curly got the  same opportunity.  This time, Shemp plays himself and his father, a rich oil man, who's trading in his old wife for a new, younger wife.  It's the Anna Nicole Smith story all over again, but with a twist.  The Daisy in question is plotting with two hoodlums to have the rich oil man killed after the wedding's made official.  Boy, those were the days, or something.  I thought it was the rich oil man who has people killed!  Must be a middle-class oil man.
Now, maybe it's just me, but it sounded like Moe's heart wasn't in it when he first gets out of bed and says "C'mon, boys, we gotta stop this wedding!"  But I must give a shout out to my Stooge-aholic friend who likes the funny sound effect at about 14:26 when Shemp goes sliding up the staircase bannister.

***
-so sayeth The Movie Hooligan

No comments: